Undergraduate Study in Mechanical Engineering


Bachelor's Degrees

Undergraduate Research

Georgia Tech encourages undergraduate students to participate in quality and substantive research. There are several options in the Woodruff School for both mechanical engineering and nuclear and radiological engineering majors to do special problem courses or undergraduate research courses. Students can do a non-research special problem course. This is usually a design course and it might be combined with the capstone design class for a two-semester design problem. There are two types of undergraduate research courses; an ME or NRE class; and research internships, where students are paid for working on a project either part time or full time. For both options, the course appears on the transcript. In all cases, the student must find a faculty member to work with. Each special problem and research course requires a written final report, which is to be submitted to the faculty advisor for grading. All special problems courses taken for credit receive a letter grade and appear on the transcript. Funding opportunities are available through the President's Undergraduate Research Awards.

For more information on undergraduate research at Georgia Tech, visit www.undergradresearch.gatech.edu and for specific ME/NRE program information, visit www.me.gatech.edu.

The following undergraduate engineering programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.

  • Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science in Nuclear and Radiological Engineering