College of Sciences
Department website: http://www.cos.gatech.edu/
College established in 1990
First Science Program in 1888
The College of Sciences comprises six schools
- Biological Sciences,
- Chemistry and Biochemistry,
- Earth and Atmospheric Sciences,
- Physics, and
All schools offer BS, MS, and PhD degree programs.
In addition, the College of Sciences offers a BS program in Neuroscience.
The Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics, and Computing (CEISMC), which works with K-12 schools and teachers in the state of Georgia to improve science and mathematics education, is also a unit of the College of Sciences.
The College of Sciences provides the courses in mathematics and the natural sciences that are necessary for all Tech undergraduates to acquire skills and basic principles for their majors. A detailed description of each degree program in the College of Sciences is located under the appropriate school heading, as are descriptions of the courses offered. The College of Sciences' courses required or recommended by degree programs in the other five colleges at Georgia Tech are listed under the curricula for those degrees.
The American Chemical Society has certified the curriculum leading to the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry.
The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society has accredited the curriculum leading to the PhD in Engineering Psychology.
The Master of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics (MSPO) program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE). Accreditation for the MSPO program is effective 2010 to 2015.
- Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization. PhD
- Applied Physics. BS
- Applied Physiology. PhD
- Biochemistry. BS
- Bioinformatics. MS, PhD
- Biology. Minor, BS, MS, PhD
- Chemistry. BS, MS, PhD
- Chemistry & Biochemistry. Minor
- Computational Science and Engineering. MS, PhD
- Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. Minor, BS, MS, PhD
- Health and Medical Sciences. Minor
- Human-Computer Interaction. MS
- Machine Learning. PhD
- Mathematics. Minor, BS, MS, PhD
- Neuroscience. BS
- Ocean Science and Engineering. PhD
- Physics. Minor, BS, MS, PhD
- Physiology. Minor
- Psychology. Minor, BS, MS, PhD
- Quantitative Biosciences. PhD
- Quantitative and Computational Finance. MS
- Robotics. MS
- Statistics. MS
The College of Sciences currently offers minors in biology, earth and atmospheric sciences, and mathematics, along with a number of certificate programs that provide similar opportunities for students to develop their expertise or acquire skills or information in specific areas in addition to their major area. Students who satisfactorily complete a certificate program will receive a certificate of recognition from the department that offers the program. Certificate programs available in the College of Sciences are as follows: (Certificate programs offered by the other colleges at Georgia Tech are also available to students in the College of Sciences.)
Certificate Programs in the College of Sciences
- Applied Physiology
- Biologically Inspired Design
- Biomedical Science
- Biomolecular Technology
- Computational & Quantitative Biology
- Environmental Science
- Integrative Biology
- Marine Science
- Physics of Living Systems
- Cognitive Psychology
- Engineering Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Social/Personality Psychology