Undergraduate Study in Architecture
Department website: http://www.arch.gatech.edu
The School of Architecture offers three certificate programs for which undergraduate students may apply:
- Architecture and Society – provides an opportunity to explore the technological and formal innovations of architecture and infrastructure within their socio-political and cultural contexts. Students will learn not only about buildings’ technical systems – and their material, structural and climatic performance – but also about their formal order, siting, use, funding/patronage, relation to nature or the city, decoration, and multiple interpretive contexts.
- Sustainable Architecture – provides undergraduate students the opportunity to specialize in design and technical innovations that will increase building energy performance, reduce emissions, use eco-friendly materials, and thereby increase the durable societal value of the built environment.
- Computational Design – prepares students to develop a skill set in computer-aided design and fabrication built upon an integrated application of design research, architectural geometry, digital theory and digital design technologies in contemporary architectural practice and research.
Certificates will be granted only to students who, in addition to the certificate program requirements, have satisfied requirements for a Georgia Tech degree. Each certificate requires a minimum of twelve credit hours, at least nine of which are at the 3000 level or higher in the designated area. Courses required by a student's program of study may not be credited by that student toward a certificate. Courses counting toward a certificate must be taken on a letter-grade basis, and a "C" or better must be received in each course.
Interested students should consult http://www.arch.gatech.edu/architecture-minor-certificates and consult with an academic advisor for more details.
The School of Architecture encourages foreign study for all students to prepare them professionally and personally for successful lives in the global environment of the twenty-first century. Students may participate in an immersive experience at another institution or participate in a Georgia Tech faculty-led program.
The School of Architecture currently runs the following faculty-led programs:
- Summer Study in Greece and Italy (open to students of all majors)
- Undergraduate International Studio (restricted to students in the B.S in Architecture program)
- Design Develop Build Program in Africa (restricted to students majoring in Architecture)
- International Urban Design Studio (restricted to students majoring in Architecture)
- Barcelona Study Abroad Program in Spain (open to students of all majors)